“Smart drugs” are common in workplaces as they do an awesome job improving productivity when carrying out tasks that require alertness and more thinking power. While modafinil is one of the best drugs for this purpose, it’s very difficult to come by in Thailand (unless it’s counterfeit). The reason is that though it is legal, it is not registered.
The best and most convenient place to get this drug is from reputable online pharmacies. For people looking to get it in this country, this article provides all that they need to know.
What Is Modafinil?
Modafinil (Provigil) is a sleep-eliminating drug normally prescribed to narcolepsy patients. Recently, it has become popular among healthy individuals as an effective way to enhance their cognitive function, improve alertness, and mitigate fatigue . It belongs to a class of meds called nootropics (wakefulness-promoting medicines), or smart drugs.
Though there are several other tabs that perform the same or a similar function, modafinil is often the preferred option due to some of its unique benefits. They include:
- a high level of safety and minimal side effects;
- its high effectiveness;
- the fact that it’s a eugeroic and not a stimulant;
- the low addiction potential.
This drug works by altering the concentration of very specific chemical substances in areas of the brain responsible for the regulation of wakefulness and sleep .
How Modafinil Works
The exact mechanism of action of this wake-promoting drug is unclear. Results from previous studies carried out revealed that it induces two effects that were formerly not known to be related to alertness. These are neuroprotective and antioxidative effects.
However, one research carried out recently shows that free radicals may be the true substance behind sleeping as well as cellular breakdown and that modafinil’s ability to target these actions may be how it so effectively promotes wakefulness. On a much wider scale, most research surrounding Modafinil’s ability to promote wakefulness indicates that it stimulates norepinephrine (NE), histamine (HA), dopamine (DA), serotonin (5-HT), and orexin systems in the brain . However, researchers are still yet to identify a major receptor binding and locate any site of action.
Safeness of Medication
Generally, modafinil is considered safe when used in the treatment of sleepiness resulting from shift work sleep disorder, sleep apnea, and narcolepsy, as well as for improving alertness and memory retention.
In fact, evaluations carried out in over 3500 people in order to ascertain the safety of this medication indicated that it is well-tolerated and poses mild to moderate side effects . However, this does not mean that the drug causes no adverse reactions at all.
All meds pose side effects, and modafinil is not an exception. However, with correct usage and strict adherence to the doctor’s prescription, they seldom occur and are usually mild when they do. Common side effects that may appear with the use of this medicine include:
- dry mouth;
- loss of appetite;
- difficulty going to sleep or sleeping for a long enough time.
Some side effects may be more severe. People taking this drug are advised to inform their healthcare provider immediately should any of the listed symptoms be experienced:
- difficulty swallowing and/or breathing;
- mouth sores;
- peeling skin;
- chest pain;
- swelling of the face or lower or upper extremities of the body.
Other negative reactions not listed here may be experienced while using this medicine. Consult a medical professional should any problem arise.
It is worthy of note that the safety and efficacy of this medication have not been verified for patients with certain underlying health conditions such as severe renal impairment and coronary heart disease . Talk to a doctor if you intend taking this drug but are having an underlying condition. There is also no substantial information on the safety of this med in patients who are 65 years or older.
Is It Legal in Thailand?
Yes, modafinil is legal in Thailand. The Narcotics Control Division of the Thailand Food and Drug Administration, as well as the website of the Ministry of Public Health, indicates that modafinil is not classified as a psychotropic substance or narcotic drug. This is in accordance with the country’s Narcotics Act B.E. 2522 .
So, one can buy or carry up to 30 days’ worth of the drug for personal use without a permit from the Thai FDA. However, there might be a need to present a prescription from a doctor containing the patient’s name as well as the symptoms and sickness the med is needed for.
Can You Find Modafinil in Thailand Drugstores?
Yes, this medicine can be found in Thailand drugstores; however, it is very hard to come by. It’s mostly available in pharmacies around tourist zones in Bangkok. Unless one is buying from such regions, getting it might be next to impossible.
But since this med is very hard to find, how does one get it without having to visit walk-in pharmacies in Bangkok? Online! The easiest and most cost-effective way of buying modafinil pills is from trustworthy online pharmacies.
Tips to Buy Modafinil Online in Thailand
While this med is readily available online and can be gotten from just about any location in Thailand, it is advisable to take caution when making purchases. This is to avoid buying counterfeit products from unreliable drugstores.
ModafinilXL is a trustworthy online pharmacy where high-quality modafinil tablets, as well as alternative armodafinil pills, can be bought affordably. In this store, users are granted the privilege to order free modafinil samples. This way, they can test the efficacy of the drugs before going ahead to make purchases – a great way to save money. It also offers great discounts to customers and free express shipping with tracking for orders over $150. With nearly 480,000 satisfied customers, you can rest assured that you’ll enjoy only the best services.
ModafinilXL also has generic versions of Provigil as wells as its alternatives available. The generics include Modafil MD and Modvigil, while the alternatives are Artvigil and Waklert.
- Modafil MD is a generic version of Provigil, containing modafinil, and just like the brand drug, it effectively eliminates sleepiness and improves cognitive abilities. However, unlike modafinil and other generics, it has a different method of administration. While its counterparts are taken orally, it is taken sublingually (i.e. placed under the tongue). This brings about a faster and stronger absorption that makes it take effect more quickly.
- Modvigil is yet another generic version of modafinil. According to several people who have tested other versions of the wakefulness-promoting drug, it poses less serious, milder side effects compared to its counterparts. It may be the perfect pill for business owners, creative professionals, and students looking to improve their level of productivity. Besides this purpose, it is also prescribed by doctors for patients with narcolepsy and ADD/ADHD.
- Artvigil is a generic version of another wakefulness-promoting drug called armodafinil. It is an effective alternative that produces very satisfactory results in terms of effectiveness and time of action. A few users of this drug believe it to be more effective in terms of boosting productivity compared to Provigil (modafinil). It may serve as a good alternative for users who find the other versions discomforting or ineffective.
- Waklert is also a generic version of armodafinil. It is very popular among individuals whose day-to-day activities or tasks require a very high level of focus or productivity. Like its counterparts, it is highly effective and often prescribed by doctors for the treatment of shift work sleep disorder, sleep apnea, and narcolepsy.
Generally, the make-up of each of these drugs is similar to that of their brand name versions, and apart from their time of action, which may differ based on the specific mode of administration, they may offer the same level of effectiveness.
However, due to the differences in body type, different people may find one drug more effective or less discomforting than the other. Determining what works best cannot be made based on the experiences of other users but by trying it out personally. Some online pharmacies give customers the option of trying free samples out before purchasing. This way, they can find out what works best for them. ModafinilXL is one such store.
For people looking to buy modafinil in Thailand in 2020, the best place to get it is online. One great advantage of making purchases from an online store is a price. Compared to local walk-in pharmacies, online medicines come available at the lowest price possible. Users also enjoy the advantage of getting the drugs delivered to their doorstep in a discreet package. This way, no one can know what is being delivered to you.
It is worthy of note that there are many suppliers who ship this medicine as well as its alternatives to Thailand, and thus great care should be taken when purchasing. While buying online offers speedily delivery and affordability, fake medications that can cause harm can be bought as well. Thus, it becomes necessary to do quality research to help you find reputable stores to buy from. This way, you can enjoy all the benefits associated with ordering this med online, as well as high-quality drugs that will be very effective.
However, if the reason for taking this med has to do with treating a sleep disorder, it is advisable to get a prescription from a doctor. This will help prevent incorrect use of the drug that may result in very severe side effects or discomforts.
- Practical Use and Risk of Modafinil, a Novel Waking Drug. P. Dongsoo Kim. Published February 22, 2012. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- Modafinil. Last revised: February 15, 2016. Medlineplus.gov.
- Mechanisms of modafinil: A review of current research. R.M. Paul Gerrard, Robert Malcolm. Published June 2007. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- NEW ZEALAND DATA SHEET. Retrieved: November 23, 2019. Medsafe.govt.nz.
- Guidance for Travellers to Thailand under Treatment. Revised: November 2015. Incb.org.