You’ve probably heard how modafinil can help increase alertness, enhance memory, improve creativity, and ultimately boost productivity at work or school. Many people around the world use it, including analysts, engineers, athletes, celebrities, and presidents, but is it really worth all the hype?
In this article, we will shed light on everything you need to know about this drug, starting from its benefits, risks, and side effects to where you can buy high-quality pills online. Read on.
Modafinil Pharmacology and Features
Modafinil is a powerful and effective medication used to treat excessive daytime sleepiness. It was developed in France by professor Michel Jouvet in the early 70s and became commonly used in 1994. Much research later (in 1998), following the confirmation of its safety and effectiveness, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved it for use in treating 3 major sleep disorders. They include narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), and shift work sleep disorder (SWSD) .
Over time, people using this drug realized that besides helping them stay awake during the day so they could sleep well at night, it was also enhancing their mental function. They realized that each time they took it, they were able to process information faster, recall little details, come up with more creative ideas, and solve problems faster.
In no time, the military took advantage of the cognitive-enhancing benefits of modafinil, giving it to soldiers to help them stay awake and perform better on missions. Information about its effectiveness spread out more, and soon business executives, scientists, and college students, to name a few, started using it.
But how does this drug work?
Researchers aren’t exactly sure how the drug provides cognitive-enhancing benefits. However, there are a series of actions they understand and believe to be the backbone behind it all.
For starters, the drug consists of the chemical formula, C15H15NO2S, which indicates that it is a wakefulness-promoting agent and a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant . Subsequently, found knowledge suggests that it works by targeting sleep mechanisms in the brain and regulating the levels of certain neurotransmitters such as dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin, and some others. Increased levels of the aforementioned brain chemicals are known to play a role in mood, wakefulness, alertness, and focus .
The FDA hasn’t approved modafinil for use by healthy individuals for its cognitive-enhancing benefits, but many people take it regardless. The number of users is on an upward trend, and this may be attributed to the sheer number of positive reviews shared on forums by people who’ve used it.
Modafinil is only approved for adults and teenagers 17 years of age and above. Note that although it offers immense benefits, it also has side effects, some of which can be life-threatening. Let’s explore the adverse reactions that can result from using this drug.
Modafinil Side Effects & Safety Risks
Every drug has side effects, and modafinil is no exception. It poses the risk of adverse reactions that are commonly mild and not permanent, typically disappearing without treatment within a few hours or days. These side effects mostly only occur during the early period of using the drug and stop after a little over a week or less.
Fortunately, not everyone who uses the drug gets to experience discomfort. It all depends on your biological makeup. But can your body adjust to the ingredients? What’s the chance that you won’t experience adverse reactions after taking a pill?
Well, there is a huge chance that you won’t suffer any side effects. This chance exists for most people, especially if they do not have an underlying medical condition. Still skeptical?
Here’s a good example: If you turn to the patient information leaflet of a commonly used drug such as Panadol, you’ll find a long list of possible side effects that can occur. You’ve probably taken this medication several times, but have you ever experienced any of these negative effects? That’s the case with modafinil.
Modafinil’s common adverse effects are as follows :
It is worth noting that more serious adverse reactions can also result from using this drug. Some of them include itching, rash, chest pain, irregular or fast heartbeat, anxiety, and hives, among others. Fortunately, these side effects rarely occur and are mostly prompted by abusing or using the drug incorrectly. Note that they can become life-threatening if left untreated. Thus, it becomes important to seek urgent medical attention if they occur.
Even with these side effects, modafinil is still considered to be a safe medication. The FDA approved it for use after considering the risk vs benefits, and the latter proved to outweigh the former.
What Can Be Done to Minimize Them?
With all the listed side effects, one would wonder what the essence of using this drug is. Well, modafinil’s benefits far outweigh its cons, and it can help push the boundaries of achievements if used correctly.
The good news is that there are ways its side effects can be minimized, and they’re not difficult to follow. Here’s what you can do to reduce them:
- take it with food: Although modafinil can be taken with or without food, most people find that taking it with a meal helps to reduce nausea, indigestion, and diarrhea;
- take it early in the morning: Unless you intend to stay awake all night, it is advisable to take it very early in the morning so its effects can wear off before bedtime. The drug’s half-life is 10–12 hours; always take this into consideration before popping a pill;
- drink enough water: Sometimes, modafinil causes dehydration, which is one of the causes of headaches. Drinking lots of water after taking the pill can help prevent headaches;
- only use it if you’re 17 years of age or older: Although there are many research papers asserting the safety of this drug, all of them are based on adults. Consequently, its effects on younger individuals are unknown.
“All substances are poisons; there is none that is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison from a remedy .” Familiar with this saying from alchemist and physician Paracelsus? It holds true even for modafinil. Consequently, it goes without saying that it’s important to strictly adhere to the drug’s instructions for use or a doctor’s prescription.
Modafinil’s recommended starting dose is 200 mg to be taken only once per day. However, depending on your biological makeup, there might be a need to step it up or down a little bit. A doctor is in the best position to determine the right dosage for you .
TOP 15 Modafinil Benefits
So, now let’s move on to the meat of the matter. Here are the top 15 research-backed and experience-based benefits of modafinil.
Sometimes staying awake during work hours, in class, or when working on a personal task can be a tad challenging, slowing down productivity. Whether it’s as a result of keeping late nights, having a heavy meal, or burnout from a stressful weekend, modafinil can switch things up, ultimately leading to increased performance.
Modafinil actually belongs to a class of drugs known as wakefulness-promoting agents, and it is actually approved by the FDA for this purpose .
Being smart is great, but having an excellent memory to go along with it makes things even better. Besides the numerous testimonials from people who’ve used this drug, many research papers suggest modafinil’s ability to boost spatial working memory safely and effectively .
Increases Motivation to Work
Staying awake and ready to work is one thing, but finding the motivation to actually execute the task at hand can sometimes be challenging. At times like this, modafinil can help restore lost motivation and help you stay focused for hours at a stretch. The results of one study indicated that modafinil increased the motivation to work on tasks by enhancing the pleasure the participants derived from the given task. This encouraged them to keep working without feeling tired .
It Is Affordable
To say modafinil is affordable is an understatement; it is cheap! It costs even less than coffee, one of the most commonly used nootropics in the world (most people don’t even know that). To put this in perspective, while an ordinary cup of coffee goes for around $4, a single modafinil 200 mg tablet costs about $0.8 on average.
It’s normal to start feeling tired after only a few hours of work, especially if it’s a kind that keeps you seated behind a desk for hours. Fortunately, modafinil can restore the spark and keep it up for 10 to 12 hours. This way, it can help you accomplish much more within a short period.
In several studies conducted on different groups of people, including military helicopter pilots, healthy individuals, and those with varying health conditions, modafinil was shown to decrease fatigue. If you regularly feel unnecessarily exhausted during work hours, modafinil might be just what you need .
Modafinil works on neurotransmitter systems in the brain that all come together in a way that enables a user to perform complex cognitive tasks more effectively.
It regulates the levels of different chemicals such as dopamine, serotonin, among others, that improve mood and the wake/sleep cycle. Better sleep and improved mood bring about increased productivity.
Ever experienced a situation where you’re awake and charged up but just can’t seem to stay focused on the task at hand? You find yourself looking all over the room, itching, and losing focus at the drop of a hat. If you experience this every now and then, this drug might be all you need to fix your problem with focus. Modafinil is well-known for its ability to improve focus, and many people who use it take it for this single purpose.
Maintains Mental Performance During Sleep Deprivation
You probably already know that sleep deprivation reduces mental performance. Still, there are those times when we struggle to get work done without having proper sleep for a couple of days. One study demonstrated the effectiveness of modafinil in improving the motor coordination skills of doctors who missed sleep . Whether you’re a student, a medical doctor, or an odd shift worker, modafinil may be able to help you perform optimally, even when you’re deprived of sleep.
Treats Sleep Disorders
As stated earlier, modafinil is approved by the FDA to treat sleep disorders such as SWSD, OSA, and narcolepsy. In fact, to show how effective and safe it is, modafinil is regarded as a first-line treatment for excessive daytime sleepiness caused by the aforementioned sleep disorders . If most times you feel excessively tired or sleepy during the day, it’s possible that you may be suffering from a sleep disorder. Talk to your doctor, and you just might get a prescription for modafinil.
There have been tons of studies on modafinil, and in one of them, it proved to improve verbal tasks of creative thinking, alertness, and vigilance. If you feel creatively stuck every now and then, then modafinil might be able to increase flexibility in thinking, open your mind, and let in a flow of thoughts .
Facilitates Weight Loss
Although when most people discuss the benefits of modafinil, they often leave out the fact that it can help to shed weight. However, the drug doesn’t directly cause weight loss – it suppresses appetite. Thus, long-term use of the drug leads to appetite suppression for a period of time, which ultimately causes weight loss through calories reduction.
Just in case you’re considering using modafinil for weight loss, it is worth noting that the results may not be fast, as it is not a diet pill. But that’s no problem; after all, slow and steady wins the race!
May Help Decrease Dependence on Hard Drugs
Lots of studies have been conducted to learn more about modafinil, its benefits, and its overall effects on the human body. One of such studies suggested that there’s a chance that it could help decrease dependence on certain hard drugs. In the trials, the drug proved effective in reducing withdrawal symptoms such as poor concentration, hypersomnia, and low mood that are common with cocaine and amphetamine-dependent patients .
Reduces the Effects of Hangover
When we listed people from different walks of life who take advantage of the cognitive-enhancing effects of modafinil, one group we forgot to mention was “party-goers.” A good number of people take this drug to counter the effects of over-drinking alcohol at parties. As the drug promotes wakefulness and alertness, it’s easy to see how it can reverse the drowsiness associated with drunkenness.
Although several people have reported having quick recovery from hangover effects, there are no controlled studies backing the safety and effectiveness of modafinil when used for this purpose. More studies need to be done on this.
Offers Stimulant-Like Effects Without Jitters
Coffee would have been the perfect nootropic, considering the fact that it increases alertness and focus, promotes wakefulness, and is actually fun to drink. However, the jitters associated with taking a few cups of it can be very discomforting. Modafinil offers all the aforementioned benefits and more but without the jitters. This makes it the next best thing since sliced bread for anyone looking to increase productivity at work.
Doesn’t Cause Energy Crashes
Are you familiar with how super-exhausted and sleepy you feel right after a surge of energy resulting from gulping a can of energy drink? That’s called an energy crash! One of the most interesting things about modafinil that sets it apart from many other “smart drugs” is the fact that it doesn’t cause an energy crash as its effects wear off.
Where to Buy Safe Modafinil Pills Online?
Modafinil is simply awesome. It has helped lots of workers get promotions, movie celebrities win awards, and college students graduate. It is ideal for sprinters looking to win races and professionals from all walks of life. However, getting the pills can be very tricky, as it is a prescription medication and can’t be purchased over the counter (OTC) at a walk-in pharmacy.
Luckily, modafinil pills can now be gotten easily from online vendors. But again, there’s a problem. While you’ll find a lot of vendors who claim to sell the pills online, only a handful of them are legit.
There have been lots of reports from people who got scammed or sold fake modafinil that caused severe side effects. Getting high-quality pills is the first step to getting the best out of this drug, and only a reputable vendor can offer that.
Fortunately, there are a few pointers that can help you determine a legitimate vendor. Here they are:
- genuine products sourced from reputable manufacturers: Many pharmaceutical firms manufacture modafinil, but not all of them have approval from necessary regulatory bodies to operate, and the quality of their pills can’t be trusted. It is important to make sure that whatever vendor you intend to patronize deals with trusted manufacturers;
- a genuine money-back guarantee: Besides losing your credit card details, the worst thing that can happen to you is to place an order and not have it delivered. Dealing with vendors that have a refund policy ensures that you’ll get a refund or have your order reshipped if it doesn’t get to you;
- tons of positive reviews on trusted review sites: You can’t rely on reviews on vendor sites, as those can be faked. Most reputable e-pharmacies have many positive reviews and ratings on trusted review sites such as Trustpilot and Yotpo;
- safe and secure payment methods: There have been reports from intending modafinil buyers losing their credit card details and other personal info to fake vendors that run scam websites. Ensure that there’s a padlock sign in your web browser’s address bar before carrying out any credit card transaction. What’s more, some vendors accept cryptocurrencies as a method of payment. If there’s such an option and you’ve confirmed a vendor to be legit, then use it by all means.
Truth is, even with these pointers, it will take a chunk of time, energy, and maybe money to narrow down your search. Consequently, through underground research and tons of reviews from customers, we’ve come up with a list of the best online pharmacies where you can get modafinil pills online. They are ModafinilXL.com, BuyModa.org, BuyModafinilOnline.com, and FoxDose.com.
These vendors offer stellar customer service, a genuine money-back guarantee, secure payment options, and fast shipping. Also, they source their products from trustworthy and reliable manufacturers. Thus, they can be trusted to deliver high-quality modafinil pills that are safe and effective.
Final Thoughts: Modafinil Benefits
Modafinil is a super-effective drug that can help treat excessive daytime sleepiness and also enhance cognitive function. With 10 to 12+ hours of laser-like focus, enhanced memory, and the other modafinil benefits, the drug can help you increase performance at whatever task you set out to do.
However, it is important to use it correctly to avoid experiencing unwanted adverse effects that can ruin everything. Do well to consult a healthcare provider or medical practitioner before starting treatment with it.
- Modafinil. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Wikipedia.org.
- Basic Sleep Concepts, Science, Deprivation, and Mechanisms. By B. Boutrel and G. F. Koob. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Sciencedirect.com.
- PROVIGIL® (modafinil) Tablets [C-IV]. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Accessdata.fda.gov.
- Modafinil (Provigil): Side Effects and Dosage. By Omudhome Ogbru, PharmD. Medically reviewed by Jay W. Marks, MD. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Medicinenet.com.
- How Modafinil Promotes Wakefulness. By Naveed Saleh, MD, MS. Medically reviewed by Steven Gans, MD. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Verywellmind.com.
- Modafinil: MedlinePlus Drug Information. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Medlineplus.gov.
- All In the Dose – Science Learning Hub. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Sciencelearn.org.nz.
- Modafinil Dosage Guide + Max Dose, Adjustments. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Drugs.com.
- Mechanisms of Modafinil: A review of Current Research. By Paul Gerrard and Robert Malcolm. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- Effects of Modafinil on Non-Verbal Cognition, Task Enjoyment, and Creative Thinking in Healthy Volunteers. By U. Müller, J. B.Rowe, et al. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Sciencedirect.com.
- A Phase 3 Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind, Clinical Trial of the Effect of Modafinil on Cancer-Related Fatigue Among 631 Patients Receiving Chemotherapy: A University of Rochester Cancer Center Community Clinical Oncology Program Research Base Study. By Pascal Jean-Pierre, Gary R. Morrow, et al. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- Modafinil as a Replacement for Dextroamphetamine for Sustaining Alertness in Military Helicopter Pilots. By Arthur Estrada, Amanda M. Kelley, et al. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Ingentaconnect.com.
- Modafinil, D-amphetamine, and Placebo During 64 Hours of Sustained Mental Work. I. Effects On Mood, Fatigue, Cognitive Performance, and Body Temperature. By R. Pigeau, P. Naitoh, et al. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- Effect of Pharmacological Enhancement on the Cognitive and Clinical Psychomotor Performance of Sleep-Deprived Doctors: A Randomized Controlled Trial. By Colin Sugden, Charlotte R. Housden, et al. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- Modafinil in the Treatment of Excessive Sleepiness. By Jonathan R. L. Schwartz. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- The Effects of Modafinil on Convergent and Divergent Thinking of Creativity: A Randomized Controlled Trial. By Ahmed Dahir Mohamed. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Onlinelibrary.wiley.com.
- Models of Intervention and Care for Psychostimulant Users, 2nd Edition – Monograph Series No. 51. Retrieved: July 6, 2021. Health.gov.au.