Various meds exist to treat similar health conditions. However, a certain med can be more efficacious, safe, well-tolerated, and can be easily sourced from an online pharmacy.
This guide explores the most popular sleep disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) meds – Concerta vs modafinil. Read it to know how they compare, their differences, dosage guide, their negative effects & interactions, and most importantly – where to buy them online from the most reliable vendor with 100% guaranteed delivery.
Read on to explore more facts about these exceptional meds.
What Is Modafinil?
Modafinil is a prescription med dubbed the “smart tab.” It’s sold under the brand name Provigil & is certified by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to remedy sleepiness linked with narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorder (SWSD), & obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
Modafinil is also obtainable for sale in various generic brands & at an extremely low cost.
Off-label, the “smart tab” is extensively used by physicians to treat other health conditions, including ADHD, chronic fatigue syndrome, weight loss, depression, dementia, idiopathic hypersomnia, jet lag, Parkinson’s & Alzheimer’s diseases, etc.
Modafinil functions by affecting some brain neurotransmitters, including serotonin, orexin, dopamine, histamine, & norepinephrine. Indeed, histamine helps boost individual memory, learning, happiness, & motivation & certainly regulates aggression & quality of wakefulness . More, orexin is apprehended to control the individual sleep-wake cycles, while dopamine recreates a chief role in how an individual feels pleasure, thinks, & even plans. Moreover, dopamine aids to stay highly motivated & concentrated & undoubtedly regulates individual sleep & wakefulness  . By heightening the levels of these brain chemicals, the “smart tab” certainly rewards a lot of buoyant things aside from boosting wakefulness.
The most impressive thing about modafinil is that various healthy individuals from all walks of life can use the “smart tab” off-license as a safe & efficacious drug to heighten cognition.
Furthermore, the “smart tab” helps students to heighten their capability to study for longer (predominantly during exam preparations), benefits to boost individual productivity & drive, ameliorate mental stamina or endurance, & undoubtedly proffers a more consequential interest in work.
Remarkably, healthy students take the “smart tab” due to various reasons, including the fear of academic delinquency, the need to fulfill high work demands, & crushing procrastination .
What Is Concerta?
Concerta contains methylphenidate as its active substance & is produced by Janssen Pharmaceuticals. Other pharmaceuticals make generic Concerta. The med is primarily used to ameliorate symptoms of ADHD, but it can also be prescribed for narcolepsy & depression. Off-label, Concerta may also be prescribed for other health conditions such as postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, fatigue, obesity, severe mood dysregulation, sleep paralysis, etc.
Certainly, the med can aid a user to focus & offers a calming effect, but it’s a potent med that should be administered with caution. It’s a central nervous system (or CNS) stimulant available for sale by prescription, just like modafinil.
Concerta allows norepinephrine & also dopamine levels to increase gradually & steadily by preventing the neurons from reabsorbing them. Dopamine & norepinephrine are essential neurotransmitters that are naturally created in the brain. Norepinephrine is a stimulant that augments heart rate & blood pumping from the heart. It also boosts blood pressure & aids break down fat as well as heightening blood sugar levels to furnish more energy to the body. Dopamine is linked to attention span, movement, and feelings of pleasure.
You may discover it more comfortable to focus & get organized with the correct amount of dopamine & norepinephrine. Besides heightening your attention span, you may be less probable to act impulsively. Additionally, you may also achieve more control over movement & your sitting still may be more comfortable.
Compare Modafinil and Concerta
Concerta & modafinil can be influential treatments for ADHD in the short term, particularly when mixed with behavioral treatments. Certainly, an individual needs to have regular checkups with their physician when they are taking either Concerta or modafinil.
Which drug is better than the other one? The table below shows an in-depth comparison between modafinil and Concerta.
|Approval date||December 24, 1998.||August 1, 2000.|
|What dosage form does this med come in?||oral tab||oral tab, extended-release|
|How to take it?||
|What is this drug used for?||
|What is it also known as?||armodafinil (Nuvigil®), modafinil (Provigil®), & generics||
|What is it good for?||
|With what does it stack well?||
|What strengths does this med come in?||
|What instructions should you follow?||
|What is the half-life & peak of this med?||
|Is it efficacious?||excellent||good|
|Is this a controlled substance?||Yes. Schedule IV med.||Yes. Schedule II (CII) med. Has a higher risk of dependence, misused, or abuse. It can be habit-forming.|
|Is there a risk of withdrawal with this med?||no||has a very lower risk|
|Does this drug have the potential for misuse?||yes, prohibited by the WADA (S6 – Stimulant)||
|What is the typical length of treatment?||long-term treatment||long-term remedy|
The table has given an in-depth comparison between the two meds. According to a study to get the safest and most effective ADHD med, authors discovered that methylphenidate is indeed the best for adolescents & children having ADHD. However, for adults with ADHD, amphetamines (i.e., Adderall, Vyvanse, & other formulations) are generally the best .
Besides, modafinil may have comparable effectiveness for treating ADHD to methylphenidate & certainly comes with fewer negative effects.
Which med is best for you? Based on the purpose of using it, a physician can certainly advise using either of the medicines based on your health condition and other factors.
What’s the difference between modafinil vs Concerta meds? Let’s explore more features of these meds & their differences.
Modafinil vs Concerta: Difference Between…
A lot of info has been provided from the earlier shared table in this guide – the major difference is their approved & off-label uses. However, a certain med is more robust than the other one in treating a certain health condition, while another one is indeed safe for use as an outstanding cognitive augmenter. Before using any of the meds, it’s great to know the drug dosages, expected negative effects, and interaction with other meds.
Modafinil comes in doses of 100 & 200 mg, while Concerta is available for sale in doses of 18, 27, 36, and 54 mg. Individual drug dosage is vehemently based on the patient health analysis and response to medication.
Some patients may discover that the higher doses are too strong or not well-tolerated and may respond well by taking the standard dosage or lower doses. 200 mg is the standard dose of the “smart tab,” and 18 mg is the standard dose of Concerta.
Regarding Concerta dosage a physician can prescribe, it depends on several factors. These include :
- the type as well as the severity of the condition being treated;
- individual age;
- other medical requirements you may have.
Typically, a physician can prescribe you a low dosage. Then adjust it as you continue the medication until you get the amount that’s certainly suitable for you. Concerta functions in the body for about 12 hours after ingestion. If it’s administered late in the day, it can keep you wakeful at night.
Modafinil dosage varies based on the condition being treated. For treating OSA & narcolepsy, it should be taken in the morning. However, it should be taken as needed for productivity, SWSD, & cognitive-ameliorating effects (about 50 minutes to an hour for a scheduled task).
Always speak with your physician if you have any pre-existing health conditions or if you are administering other meds.
Side Effects and Safety
The list below doesn’t include all possible drug negative effects. More regular negative effects of Concerta include the following :
- lessened appetite (leading to weight loss);
- stomach ache;
- feeling irritable;
- increased blood pressure;
- feeling tired.
Your individual negative effects may differ depending on the physician’s prescribed dosage of the med. More symptoms of serious negative effects include heart-related issues, boosted blood pressure, seizures symptoms, priapism, psychiatric issues, issues with circulation in fingers & toes, depression, etc.
Regular modafinil’s negative effects are as follows :
- back pain;
- trouble sleeping;
- feelings of nervousness;
- loss of appetite;
- runny nose;
- upset stomach;
- chest pain.
Serious negative effects from the “smart tab” are indeed not ordinary, but they can occur. It includes the following:
- severe rash;
- serious allergic reaction;
- heart issues;
- mental health consequences.
It’s always prudent to monitor the drug’s negative effects, and if they occur & persist, informing a physician is mandatory.
Interaction with Other Meds, Food, and Alcohol
Modafinil & Concerta work well with food but can interact with several other meds. Always inform a physician of ALL the meds you might be currently using to assess if they can induce drug-drug interactions.
Before using Concerta or modafinil, inform your physician of your medical history, specifically of: kidney issues, high blood pressure, heart issues (such as uneven heartbeat), mental/mood concerns (i.e., bipolar disorder, psychosis), individual or family history of substance use disorder (i.e., overuse of or addiction to meds/alcohol).
Modafinil interacts with CYP3A4/5 & CYP2C19 substrates, MAO inhibitors, warfarin, birth control meds, CNS stimulants, and others . Concerta can interact with several other meds . Some of them include Prozac (fluoxetine), caffeine, Lexapro (escitalopram), Zoloft (sertraline), clonidine, MAO inhibitors, warfarin, certain seizure meds, vasopressors, etc.
Mixing the “smart tab” with alcohol isn’t advised. It can augment the risk of dizziness, impaired judgment, & drowsiness, among other unprecedented negative effects. Besides, mixing booze & Concerta is a bad choice because it can certainly lead to alcohol poisoning as well as heightened negative effects .
Mixing the “smart tab” or Concerta with grapefruit/juice may augment the actions or negative effects of the Concerta or the “smart tab.”
Where to Buy These Nootropics Online?
Before proceeding to buying your desired med online, it’s essential to understand that various rogue e-pharmacies sell counterfeit meds. However, we make it easy and straightforward to reveal to you legit and most reliable e-pharmacies that sell generic modafinil at an incredibly low cost. Genuine vendors offer health products sourced from authorized pharmaceuticals.
Only rely on trusted and highly rated & reviewed vendors, particularly on Trustpilot & Yotpo. Although various e-pharmacies are selling genuine modafinil, we recommend that you use one of the following vendors when ordering modafinil online:
- BuyModafinilOnline.com (BMO): This vendor has a history of delivering genuine generic modafinil sourced from approved drugmakers from India and offers them at the manufacturing cost. Additionally, BMO has an extensive selection of generic “smart tab” brands, and you can easily select the generic version of your choice. Besides, BMO’s trackable shipping is indeed swift & 100% delivery is guaranteed, but in case of any parcel shipping hurdles, the e-pharmacy offers a full refund or another similar parcel shipment. Certainly, we have no doubt recommending this vendor. Aside from offering low-cost modafinil tabs, it also offers coupons & offers to help its shopper to further lower the order cost. The most impressive saving is a 23% off discount when checking out using crypto. For more info about BMO, read our other exclusive vendor guide: BuyModafinilOnline Reviews: #1 Low-Cost Trusted Modafinil Vendor. Certainly, BMO is indeed a legit, reputable, & trustworthy modafinil vendor. It’s your favorite low-cost “smart tab” vendor with secure checkout;
- ModafinilXL.com (MXL): Fundamentally, all “smart tab” vendors sell similar meds. Consequently, on the surface, there is no discrepancy between the various “smart tab” vendors littered across the globe. Nonetheless, MXL stands out uniquely from its competitors. It has tons of positive reviews & testimonials on major sites like Trustpilot, Reddit, Yotpo, & other forums. Its operations are similar to BMO, and like BMO, it also offers trackable parcel shipping, free modafinil trial samples & has an informative blog. You get everything you need to know about the “smart tab,” payment & shipping details, FAQs, & refund policy. Relish MXL’s profitable discounts (20% off crypto payment) & save money by using vendor coupon codes & offers. For a more in-depth review about MXL, read our other guide: ModafinilXL Review: #1 Best Legit Modafinil Provider in 2023. We 100% recommend this vendor.
Other great vendors that we recommend are BuyModa.org (BM) & HighStreetPharma.com (HSP). Like BMO & MXL, these vendors are indeed legit “smart tab” online pharmacies helping customers to get quality modafinil generics. Also, in case of any failed parcel delivery, they offer another parcel reshipment or a refund. Their order payments are flexible.
A shopper can save more by paying using crypto on BM and get a 20% off crypto discount or use HSP e-pharmacy & get a 15% off crypto discount.
Although mentioned e-pharmacies offer generic modafinil, they don’t offer Concerta for sale. However, if you need this med, we suggest that you order it from Amazon or other pharmacies that stock it. The best e-pharmacies that stock Concerta includes Blinkhealth.com, Concerta.net, etc.
The Verdict: Modafinil vs Concerta
This guide has discussed everything you need to comprehend about modafinil and Concerta. Modafinil seems to be the safest and well-tolerated med for ADHD and other health conditions. Besides, it can be used as a robust med to ameliorate brain function for various rewards discussed in this guide. We hope you now know their comparisons & differences, and it’s easy for you to select the ultimate med that serves your needs. Buying modafinil online is easy if using the discussed vendors.
- Histamine H₁ receptor on astrocytes and neurons controls distinct aspects of mouse behavior. By Anikó Kárpáti, Takeo Yoshikawa, Fumito Naganuma, et al. Published: November 11, 2019. Nature.com.
- What Are Orexins? By Madeline Laguaite. Medically reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD, on July 08, 2021. Retrieved: February 28, 2022. Webmd.com.
- What Is Dopamine? By Hope Cristol. Medically reviewed by Smitha Bhandari, MD, on June 14, 2021. Retrieved: February 28, 2022. Webmd.com.
- The off-prescription use of modafinil: An online survey of perceived risks and benefits. By Rachel D. Teodorini, Nicola Rycroft, and James H. Smith-Spark. Published: February 5, 2020. Journals.plos.org.
- Comparative efficacy and tolerability of medications for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in children, adolescents, and adults: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. By Samuele Cortese, Nicoletta Adamo, Cinzia Del Giovane, Christina Mohr-Jensen, Adrian J. Hayes, Sara Carucci, et al. Published: August 07, 2018. Thelancet.com.
- Concerta (methylphenidate) | Concerta dosage. By Jennifer Mitri Williamson, Pharm.D. Medically reviewed by Dena Westphalen, Pharm.D. Updated: February 11, 2022. Retrieved: March 1, 2022. Medicalnewstoday.com.
- Concerta (methylphenidate) | Concerta side effects. By Jennifer Mitri Williamson, Pharm.D. Medically reviewed by Dena Westphalen, Pharm.D. Updated: February 11, 2022. Retrieved: March 1, 2022. Medicalnewstoday.com.
- Provigil (modafinil) | Provigil side effects. By MNT Medical Network. Medically reviewed by Lindsay Slowiczek, PharmD. Published: September 19, 2018. Medicalnewstoday.com.
- PROVIGIL® (modafinil) Tablets [C-IV] (pdf). Retrieved: March 1, 2022. Accessdata.fda.gov.
- Concerta (methylphenidate) | Concerta interactions. By Jennifer Mitri Williamson, Pharm.D. Medically reviewed by Dena Westphalen, Pharm.D. Updated: February 11, 2022. Retrieved: March 1, 2022. Medicalnewstoday.com.
- Effects of Mixing Concerta and Alcohol. By Kristeen Cherney. Medically reviewed by Zara Risoldi Cochrane, Pharm.D., M.S., FASCP. Updated: September 1, 2017. Healthline.com.